8/18/06

DO MOVIE MONSTERS MAKE EFFECTIVE HALLOWEEN PROPS?

For many years I tried to distance myself far away from using characters from horror films in my haunted houses. I wanted to come up with original characters in my haunt, to be different than everyone else. I thought that using movie characters wouldn't scare people. About three years ago I found out I was dead wrong. I decided to use a few guys from some classic horror flicks. A couple of my friends wanted to be Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers. I wasn't too thrilled with the idea at first, but I decided that I would give it a shot. They ended up being the highlight of the haunted house. I have used them every year since, I just find a new place to use them. This made me stop and rethink my whole style of haunting. I guess people can relate better to things they are familiar with. We see these characters in movies and they are scary, but to run into one of them in person. These were two very good characters because they don't speak. They just bust out of nowhere and come after you. People literally went into fits at the sight of them. If you can work these characters and things that people relate to you will have a haunt that will scare the crap out of people. Plus if you plan on running your haunt for several days at Halloween you can always change things if they aren't working, so don't be afraid to experiment.

No comments: